Wednesday, October 30, 2013

The Phone Interview



Two of my good friends from my school have their phone interviews this week for the Disney College Program, so I thought it was time to make a post about the ever famous Phone Interview. If you are reading this must have passed your Web Based Interview, or just getting tips to practice for your interview when the time comes!

I am not going to lie, this interview is very intimidating, I was personally so nervous for this interview, even though I was prepping for it months before I even applied for the Disney College Program. But, listen when I say this.. it is not as bad and horrifying as it sounds, you will do great, I promise.

I have put together some tips when preparing for your interview:
  1. Be Ready 15 Minutes Before Your Phone Interview: They recommend that you are ready 15 minutes before your scheduled time, sometimes they will call early, and sometimes late. In my personal case, they called 15 minutes late for my interview. It all depends on the time of day that you have your interview, and if they are behind or ahead of schedule.
  2. Smile: Yes, they know if you are smiling or not, they can tell if you are being energetic and if you are serious just if you are smiling! Even if they can't see you in this interview, they can tell! 
  3. Write Positive Quotes on Sticky Notes: I wrote "If you can dream it, you can do it" and a couple other quotes on sticky notes (including the word SMILE) on sticky notes so when I looked at them, it would inspire me.
  4. Remember Your Interviewers Name: This shows that you connected with your interviewer and took the time to remember their name. I stated my interviewers name 3 times during the interview. Write their name down on a piece of paper so you don't forget!
  5. Know Why You Want To Do the DCP: This is going to be the first question that they ask you. Before you start your interview, have an idea and know what you are going to say. This can range from wanting the experience, or even to work for Disney for the rest of your life. The answer will come to you.
  6. Speak Clearly and Slowly: This not only makes you sound professional, but it is easier for your interviewer to understand you.
  7. Answer Fully: Don't just answer "Yes" or "No" say "Yes, I do feel comfortable working in the Florida weather at all times of the year". This proves you have an understanding about what question was being asked.
  8. Understand The Disney Look: They will ask you if you are aware of the Disney look and if you follow it. So, before your interview brush up on what the Disney Look entails.
  9. Be Honest: Honesty is the key, and your interviewer will be able to tell if you are being honest or not, based on your application, web based interview, and your phone interview.
  10. Review Practice Interview Questions: There are a ton of practice questions on tumblr, and other sites. Review the questions and don't memorize the answers but have an idea of what they will be asking.
  11. Ask Questions After Your Interview: Interviewers love being asked questions, and it shows that you are eager about the program itself. For instance, ask your interviewer if they have ever done the program, or about taking classes during your program.
I had my phone interview at 12:45 P.M. I got up that morning, went to class and made it back to my room at about 11:45. Lets be honest, I was so nervous. On my walk back to my dorm I put "Go the Distance" on and it really helped me. I then started reading a couple pages of "The Wit and Wisdom of Disney" and that also motivated me. Before I knew it, it was 12:45, unfortunately I did not get a call till about 1:00 but, I was ready when the time came.

You will receive a call from a "Blocked" or "Restricted" number, don't worry, it is your interview!

I answered the phone and she told me her name, and apologized for being late, and then asked if this was still a good time to do the interview. Of course I said yes, and then she went over the type of questions she was going to ask. 

I took a deep breath because I knew the first questions she was going to ask, she asked me:

1. Why do you want to do the Disney College Program?
I am not going to lie, this is the most important question they ask, So PLEASE think about it before your interview. This answer can be completely different to every person. All I am going to say is to look into your heart, and your answer will come to you.

My interviewer then talked my past job experience. She was reading my application and asked me about the jobs I used to have and how I benefited from them. 

She then asked me some general questions:
  1. Florida is very hot and humid, can you handle that weather?
  2. Can you stand for hours at a time outside?
  3. Do you prefer indoor or outdoor working environments?
  4. Do you prefer a slow or fast paced working environment?
  5. What would you do in a job that is very long and tedious?
  6. Can you handle working over 40 hours a week?
Role Required Questions:
She then asked me some role required questions, she let me know that I am in the running for any role that I put ANY interest in. I am going to ONLY post questions for Character Attendant, Attractions, and Merchandise right now. I will post the rest in a big post of just practice questions for your interview.
PhotoPass Photographer:
  1. Have you ever worked with a DSLR camera before?
  2. What is your experience with cameras and photoshop?
  3. What do you say to a guest who wants their photo taken immediately when you are talking with another guest?
Attractions:
  1. What do you say to a child who is too short to ride Space Mountain but really wants to be on it?
  2. Sometimes attractions are repetitive, how do you stay active or alert?
  3. Have you ever had to give a speech or spiel up to 10 minutes long that you memorized?
Character Attendant:
  1. How do you explain to a child that a character cannot talk?
  2. What do you say to an angry parent who waited in line to meet a character to find out the character has to leave?
  3. How do you explain to a child that Pooh has to leave?
I was not asked everyone of these questions. The questions are not exact, this is a tool to give you an idea of what you will be asked. 

After the role specific questions, I was asked a couple questions about roommates and The Disney Look.
  1. Have you ever roomed with another person who is not in your immediate family?
  2. Tell me about a time you had to resolve an issue with an roommate.
  3. Are you aware of the Disney Look?
  4. Do you have any tattoos, piercings, or body modifications visible outside of a one piece bathing suit?
After this, my interviewer asked me if I had any questions for her. I asked her three questions.

1. Have you ever done the Disney College Program
2. If accepted, when will I be notified how to sign up for classes, and how many classes can I take?
3. What do you know about an Professional Internship?

There it is folks! Your Phone Interview is complete. Okay now do not freak out if your phone interview felt long, short, or you feel like you didn't engage with your interviewer like you wanted too. Remember, you have no idea of knowing how you did until you get that acceptance or rejection letter. Many people have been accepted thinking their interviews did not go well, or even the length of their interview. Just believe, and the best will come. Good luck to all!

No comments:

Post a Comment