Monday, August 18, 2014

Once Upon A Time…Is Now & Training

About two weeks ago well, August 5th to be exact I was officially transferred over to the Magic Kingdom. Once you start working you have a "orientation day" and for Magic Kingdom its called "Once Upon A Time Is Now". I was the most beautiful class I have ever taken in my entire life, other than traditions of course :) 

My class was a 7:15 A.M. and only lasted until 11:15 A.M. so it was a very short shift. I was up and running around like a maniac that day because I had to drive my roommate to her hotel at 5:30 because, well I honestly don't remember why, but thats besides the point. 


We all met inside the Mouse at 7:15 A.M. for Once Upon A Time Is Now and I was surprisingly not tired? I really don't know why because that is really early for me. The people who were leading the class were awesome and so interactive. 


The really amazing thing about the class was that we literally were in a classroom, but our classroom was Magic Kingdom, and we were learning everything about Magic Kingdom down to why there is no bathrooms in Liberty Square (even though I already know why because I am the biggest disney fact nerd ever!)


It was a very fun day, and we even got to ride Haunted Mansion, which means I was crying inside because I was getting paid to ride one of my favorite rides like ever. While the tour was ending we were on Main Street and Dream Along With Mickey came one so we got to hear that, which means I was singing along, obviously. 


After all that you get to meet the Coordinator of Training for your role / location and get your training schedule, which is always exciting. To me its like the first day of school, but thats because I am sorta kinda weird but whatever.



The next day I had my Tier 1 which is day one in your location. Since I was a merchandise transfer there wasn't really much for us to do in Tier 1 so it wasn't that bad. We met at costuming and I got to put on my lovely new costume (photos below!) We then basically just walked around Main Street USA, and my location and figured out where everything was like each stock room (THERE ARE SO MANY!) 

Day 2 of training was technically my last day of training where you go on the register but since I was a transfer I already knew how to do the register so we really did everything ourselves. It was good to have someone there just incase we needed the help though. We didn't even close and got off at 1:30 AM which is pretty early in my location!


I didn't actually do a hard close until about three or four days after my training. When closing in my location you get "closing tasks" where you could be cleaning up trash and the cash wrap, or stocking each zone; it is different each time. After a while you get the hang of everything so it isn't bad at all. Working Main Street does give you crazy hours because we are open an hour after park close so if the park is open until midnight, we are open until 1 A.M. and it takes about two hours to close, if everything gets done on time, if not you just stay later, but you get your time adjusted so its really not that big of a deal.


So far, I love working in my location. I work on the parade route so I get to see Festival of Fantasy (if I work a day shift!) Main Street Electrical Parade, Wishes, and Celebrate the Magic so I love the energy and that the magic is so much more alive here.


Thats all for today, I just wanted to update you all on what is going on with me in the working factor of my College Program extension! If theres anything you would like me to write about don't hesitate to ask, and I will write all about it! 



1 comment: